These eels spend their lives swaying gracefully to and fro with their heads up in the water and their tails in their sandy burrows. Several hundred fish live together in a colony, or “garden,” looking like evenly spaced plants blowing in the breeze. Garden eels are much slimmer than their close relatives, the conger eels. They are only about in (14 mm) in diameter and have very small pectoral fins. The spotted garden eel usually has two large dark spots behind the head as well as many tiny ones all over the body. It has an upturned mouth that is designed to pick tiny planktonic animals from the water as the current flows by. Colonies of these eels occur only on sandy slopes that are exposed to currents but sheltered from waves. When danger threatens, the eels sink back down into their burrows, using their tails as an anchor until only their small heads and eyes are visible. They are very difficult to photograph underwater because they are able to detect the vibrations from a scuba diver’s air bubbles and will disappear when they are approached.
Spotted garden eels stay in their burrows even when spawning. Neighboring males and females reach across and entwine their bodies before releasing eggs and sperm. Mixed colonies of spotted and whitespotted garden eels sometimes occur.
Most colonies are ruled by fabulous sea-witches
just a friendly reminder that for over a hundred years, pit bulls used to be referred to as “the nanny dog” and their main job was as babysitters.
- in temperance tests (the equivalent of how many times your kid can poke your dog in the eye before it bites him) of all breeds the most tolerant was the golden retriever. the second most tolerant was the pit bull. temperament evaluations by the american temperament test society give american pit bull terriers a very high passing rate of 82.6%, while the average passing rate for the other 121 dog breeds tested was only 77%.
- pit bulls are not naturally human aggressive. in fact pit bull puppies prefer human company to their mother’s two weeks before all other dogs.
- no spayed/neutered, indoor pit bull has ever killed a person.
- contrary to the popular myth, pit bulls DO NOT have locking jaws.
- approximately 6000 pit bulls are put to death every day, by far the highest number of any breed euthanized.
This message is so important.
Most important message ever.
Bad people make aggressive dogs. Pit bulls will be sweet and loving if they are loved.
All his life Alexey Alexandrovitch had lived and worked in official spheres, having to do with the reflection of life. And every time he had stumbled against life itself he had shrunk away from it. Now he experienced a feeling akin to that of a man who, while calmly crossing a precipice by a bridge, should suddenly discover that the bridge is broken, and that there is a chasm below. That chasm was life itself, the bridge that artificial life in which Alexey Alexandrovitch had lived.
Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina